Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Full Hands

Things have seemed really busy lately. When I arrived home on Sunday evening, I noticed small puddles of urine on the floor. Misha is getting older and having some bladder issues so this wasn't entirely surprising. The problem was that it was tinted with blood. Thankfully I have a good friend who just graduated from vet school. We were actually roommates my senior year of college so he knows Misha well. He assured me that it wasn't anything urgent and probably just a urinary tract infection. He asked me to bring Misha in to see him at the clinic on Monday morning. Unfortunately things got worse overnight. About every 2 hours all night long, Misha would start yelping. She was trying to get out of her bed but couldn't walk. We've known she has some spinal problems but now she was obviously in a lot of pain. Each time she would do this, I would have to run and help her before she woke up Marlie! By the time morning rolled around I was very glad we had already made arrangements to go to the vet clinic. My friend examined her and did an x-ray. He said the best chance for her to get better would be surgery on her spine at the UGA vet school. That would be A LOT of money with no guarantee that she would get better. We decided that for now we would just try to manage her pain with medication. For the past few days I've been having to carry her around a lot and pick her up each time she tries to walk but can't. She is also on 5 different medications which I have to give her orally twice a day. This is a lot to deal with in addition to taking care of a 9 month old. Misha was my first "baby" though so I really hope that she will start feeling better soon. I don't have any recent pictures of Misha, but here is one from last summer. She joined Bryan and I on a weekend trip to Switzerland, and this is her in the car.

On a more positive note, I started teaching a new fitness class last night. Only a few people attended, but I hope they enjoyed it and will spread the word. It's been a while since I've done any fitness instruction so I definitely felt a little rusty. I did enjoy leading the class though and hope I will continue to learn and gain some good experience from it!

1 comment:

Tara said...

oh cristin. My prayers are with you both and I truely hope she gets better.