Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Getting Better

Around 3:30 am last Wednesday, we heard Marlie crying. We went to check on her and found that she had thrown up. We got everything cleaned up and put her back to bed thinking maybe it was just a one time thing. About 30 minutes later, it all happened again. She continued to vomit (or her body tried to) about every 30 minutes for the next 6 hours. She did better the rest of the day but also had diarrhea throughout the day. Personality wise she also wasn't herself because she just wanted to lay down or be held. I called the advice nurse at the pediatric clinic and she pretty much just told me to keep an eye on her.
On Thursday she acted like she felt a little better. Although she continued to have diarrhea, she didn't vomit.
On Friday morning, I went to get her out of bed and she just laid there. She didn't even lift her head which concerned me because she's normally jumping out of her bed. She laid with me in our bed for a little while and then I held her while she had her morning Pedialyte. She ended up vomiting all over both of us. I called to get her an appointment at the pediatric clinic but they didn't have any openings. They recommended that I take her to the ER which was our only alternative. We got there a little before 11am. Five hours later we finally left with some anti-nausea medicine.
She's been very slowly getting better over the past few days. She hasn't had much of an appetite and definitely hasn't been herself. She threw up a little bit yesterday morning but today has been much better. For the first time since Wednesday, she's didn't vomit or have diarrhea once!
This is the sickest she has ever been so I hope the worst of it is behind us. Who would have thought we'd be wishing for her wild, energetic personality to return!


The Tooles said...

Glad Marlie is starting to feel better. Sounds like your hospital is like hours as far as getting an appointment. It is rediculous!! Take care.

Kerry Wilson said...

Wow, that is a long time to have that type of stomach illness. Cameron has been vomiting today, hopefully his will clear up in a day or so though. he had it once before when he was about 1 year old and it only lasted about 24 hours.

Erin said...

That stinks. I cannot believe she was that sick. I think I'd freak out if Ava was throwing up like that. Yeah, gotta love the military pediatricians. Luckily we go off base but we have the same problem getting quick appointments. I'm glad she's feeling better. Keep us posted.
Off subject: Can you add us to your Friends you visit blog? Hoping to keep the word out there that we have a blog now. Thanks.