Friday, October 23, 2009

Leading the FRG

Bryan is supposed to begin his battery command at the end of November. He had also wanted me to take over the Family Readiness Group (FRG) at that point. Well, some things happened recently with that FRG and I was asked by the current commander to go ahead and take it over. The battery consists of about 100 soldiers and the FRG is made up of their family members. I understand that this may be foreign language to some of you, so I will give you an idea of what I'm doing (from the FRG Leader job description):
-Schedules, plans, and conducts FRG meetings
-Delegates FRG responsibilities to select volunteers in order to promote participation in FRG activities and accomplishment of FRG objectives
-Acts as a liason between battalion and company level FRGs
-Identifies needs or unique problems of unit families
-Serves as a member of the battalion level steering committee
-Acts as a company FRG spokesperson for communicating family members' concerns and ideas to the company commander and battalion level FRG
I'm also in charge of organizing fundraisers for the battery to support our unit functions.
I've been in the position for one week now. I knew I would be busy, but because I was so hastily thrown into the position, it has been even more work! For Bryan and I both, the year (plus) ahead promises to be very challenging but also hopefully rewarding.

2 comments:

The Tooles said...

I know this is a BIG job! With Justin's command being in a basic training unit, the company staff/family is VERY small. Good luck=)

Holly Bailey said...

Girl, I know you will do a great job! If you ever have a question or just need to vent to someone who understands you know I am here!