Monday, December 13, 2010

St Jude Memphis Marathon

I was waiting until I had all the pictures to do a race weekend recap. I still don't have them all, but I have enough. My friends, Molly, Marcia, Whitney, and I all left for Memphis on Friday morning. When we arrived in Memphis we grabbed a late lunch and then went to the expo to pick up our race numbers and packets. I always enjoy seeing all the vendors' booths and what gear they have for sale.
We didn't want to fight the crowds downtown so we stayed close to our hotel and had dinner at Pei Wei. We followed that with a light dessert at TCBY (you don't see those much anymore!).
I was a ball of nerves on Saturday morning so I didn't sleep quite as long as I had hoped to. Marcia & Whitney ran the 5k which started an hour before the marathon. We hoped to see them finish before we started but we somehow missed each other in the crowd.
Molly & I eventually had to go get in our corral for our start and we finally began about 8:26am. It was cool and overcast when the race began, but by early afternoon it was sunny and in the high 50s - perfect race weather!
The race took us through downtown & Beale Street, historic neighborhoods, the Mississippi River, Sun Studio (where Elvis first recorded) and most importantly the campus of St Jude. There were tons of people cheering for us including patients of St Jude. Seeing those children smiling and waving to us made me forget about any pain I was having. There were also lots of signs in honor and in memory of the kids of St Jude and they were just as motivating!

Here are some pictures taken from the race.








We finished in the minor league baseball stadium downtown. I was fighting back tears at this point!


Finally!



After finishing, we had to climb the steps of the stadium!


All 4 of us!


After the race we went back to our hotel room to relax for a while. Once we had a little break we went back down to Beale Street for dinner (BBQ ribs of course!) and to celebrate! Molly & Marcia had the idea of getting shirts made for the weekend and my friend, Brittany, designed them for us. We wore these out on Saturday night!


Although the race is over, you can still donate to St Jude Childrens Research Hospital. These kids and this hospital would appreciate any little bit you can give.
https://waystohelp.stjude.org/sjVPortal/public/displayUserPage.do?programId=401&eventId=108867§ionStyle=subMenuTwo&userId=479689

4 comments:

Erin Duvall said...

Congrats Cristin! What an accomplishment. How is Bryan doing?

Brittany said...

I'm so proud of you guys! That is awesome!! :D

The Perfect Trio said...

even though we don't "know" each other...i am so proud of you! (our kids go to the same preschool)

seeing you girls run every morning that i dropped my son off was inspiring!

kristin said...

i am so proud of you and i dont even know you! i too am an army wife and a runner (ive done 2 marathons)! keep up the good work!